Pittsburgh’s only crisis nursery is seeking a charismatic and compassionate social worker to join our strong families team. Our social workers provide crisis intervention to families at high risk for child abuse and neglect with children birth to six years. The Social Worker provides on-site intervention and follow up services such as advocacy and programming to families in crisis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts client intakes and serves as first point of contact to families during registration process.
- Assesses client situations, capabilities, and problems, to determine services required to meet their needs.
- Problem solves with clients to identify their needs.
- Implements a strengths-based and empowering approach of service delivery
- Serves as liaison between clients and community resources i.e. contacts and investigates agencies with potential services for clients.
- Establishes relationships with individuals, families and community partners.
- Works with families who are experiencing ongoing multiple barriers.
- Develops and maintains a list of available community resources including but not limited to housing, employment, childcare, food, medical, legal and other community resources.
- Maintains accurate and thorough client notes.
- Acts as field instructor for BSW and/or MSW interns from local colleges and universities.
- Provides, finds, arranges or refers for support services that might include but will not be limited to substance abuse counseling, job training, prenatal care, and parenting classes to prevent additional crisis from occurring.
- Follows up with clients regarding results of referrals.
- Addresses potential child abuse and neglect.
- Provides necessary training for staff.
- Coordinates and conducts parent support and education programming.
- Administers community outreach such as tours, events, and speaking engagements.
Education / Experience / Certifications
- Master’s Degree in Counseling or Social Work
- 3 years social work or related experience
- PA Act 33 (Child Abuse) / Act 34 (Criminal History) / Federal Criminal History Record (FBI Fingerprint)
Other Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of young children/families in crisis
- Relates to children and parents in a positive manner
- Empathizes with children and parents regarding their crisis
- Strong comfort level with families from diverse cultures and ethnic groups
- Instills confidence in others
- Maintains a calm and competent attitude during periods of stress
- Understands the challenges of clients with mental health, chemical dependency and behavioral issues
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret state and federal policies, statutes, and regulations while assuring program goals are met
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and computer skills
- Strong awareness of community programs and resources
- Nurturing, Patient, Sensitive, Flexible, Energetic, Tolerant, Responsible and Adaptable
April 15th, 2020